Sunday, May 6, 2007

Starting your own business

Hello all,
It's me again and I am back to rant about starting your own business. This topic has come to me since we have had so many speakers come into our class and talk to us about their companies. When the guy from hostmysite came into to speak, I was not listening the actual components of what his company does or what it did or the fact that customer service was how they made their name, I was listening to what steps one has to take in order to start a business. I know when you take classes in the business school they teach you to make a business plan and start from their but I think we should be learning more; like how to incorporate, or how to name a company, or how to raise capital for the endeavour. Why is their no classes that I am aware of at this school that teach you these things? I think that everyone in the business school should all be required to take an entrepreneurial course.

Until next time.... stiuqxela

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ben,

I agree. None of our classes have talked about how to do things to actually start our own businesses. I guess they assume we'll all go to work for someone else when we graduate, but still. I think they should teach us something about how to set up our own business because we'll be more well rounded and knowledeable in general even if we don't want to start our own business.

Beth said...

We learned a little about incorporating in my business law class but I agree with both of you. It sounded like an easy thing but it can't be so simple so why haven't we heard more about starting a business? I think we would all benefit from a class teaching us the beginning stages of a business because then we would be familiar with the issues facing a start up as well the history and obstacles overcome by a well established business.

Ben Gruber said...

I am glad that you guys agree with me. Too bad it is too late for me atleast. Anyways I think they have an entrepreunerial minor now. Maybe that will make the difference we are looking for.