Monday, May 7, 2007

Comments on Laura Kerigs blog about google

Hello,
In Laura Kerig's Blog, "Google: How far is too far" she asks the question of whether or not Google is going to far with the about of information they collect on it's users. In particular she talks about the tracking of peoples search preferences. I think this is a big issue and I am glad that she addressed it. I believe that Google has no bad intentions when collecting data about their users. They are probably actually doing it as a means to make their website the most useful it can be, in order to generate loyalty and greater page hits. So I do not fault the company, I do however believe that some of these services are getting extremely instrusive. I believe that if they are doing things such as Google is, it should be clear to the user what is happening. If the user agrees, then it is fine, if not, then the service should stop.

Until later... stuiqxela

3 comments:

Gledwood said...

I've edited Wikipedia stuff as well. And was highly surprised that my ideas were not only still there but taking pride of place, some having set off new trains of thought - months later!! I just opened a new video blog with all my favourite tracks there. Plus there are some odd youtube clips - like a man with his giant pet hornet ... I thought I would invite you to come see it. Please tell what you think of it as well! Hope to see you there!

All the best

Gledwood

http://gledwoodvid.blogspot.com

Laura said...

I agree that the user should be informed as to what information is being collected about them. The problem is that nowadays, people rarely read disclaimers (especially online) and they simply check the box that they agree with whatever so they can sign up for things. Even if people were supposedly informed, I think most people would probably still be oblivious.

Ben Gruber said...

You are completely right. People do not look carefully at the agreements so it might not make much of a difference. I think however that it would allow the people who do care enough to know what it means.